Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Checking in with YOU

Hi there! You ok? We're all getting inundated with emails about what this company and that company are doing to take precautions around keeping employees and customers and students safe.  Our inboxes are crammed with so many daily communications, it's almost like 'Black Friday' volume, right? Except not quite as satisfying as snagging that InstaPot you've been wanting for a bargain price!

Anyway, I wanted to try to stay in touch with my family, friends, colleagues and clients without adding to the (overwhelming) content overload.  Just because we are isolated physically doesn't mean we have to feel alone.  Every day, since I can remember, I've given thanks for little and big things in my life. And if you are reading this, you are on my list of gratitudes! Seriously- to every single one of you, I am grateful for our encounters, relationships, gifts, and lessons I learn from you. My plan is to update this blog with links to things I think will be good ideas for self-care. Once a week post is my goal. Please keep checking back!

So, I'm hunkered in, feeling pretty good about all my frenetic preparations and the current reality of our living situation in my household. The furniture has been rearranged, new spaces have been carved out of other spaces which used to only serve one purpose.  And what I've quickly concluded is that in order to accommodate our new existence it's VITAL *necessary to the existence, continuance, or well-being of something; indispensable; essential* to look at things a bit differently, find humor and go with the flow. 

Case in point: a new "home office" is suddenly inserted into a corner of my bedroom over the weekend.
It used to be a simple, yet lovely little nook consisting of our favorite throw blankets and two comfy chairs placed in front of a window which allowed us to enjoy watching the fascinating wildlife activities happening in the big old oak tree just a few feet away.  




My husband and I would relish our weekend routine of sharing a French press coffee, catching up on the week's events, planning out our day, and most importantly, dreaming together.  Today it is an executive work station. Don't misread- I'm happy to surrender that area for the foreseeable future for the greater good, and I'm happy to have him working from home when possible. (Famous last words. I'm sure a future blog entry will be "10 Tips- How to Live 24 Hours a Day With Your Partner of 30 Years and Not Plot Their Demise".) (Just kidding! Geesh!) However, when setting up the desk and chair, we really needed to look at the big picture. Literally! When the inevitable video conference call happens will the overflowing clothes hamper be in eye shot of your boss? Will you remember to close the bathroom door so the toilet won't be a distraction to your coworkers? Will someone on the toilet be a distraction during the conference call? (jk- we do have another bathroom I can use, don't worry!)

What about the ironically timed work of the arborists just outside the new "office" window and their unbelievably noisy chainsaws? (For the record, I grew up in a family where we relied on cutting our own wood for supplemental heat, so I am quite familiar with how loud and smelly a chainsaw is! But somehow these particular machines seemed much more harsh and invasive in my little  neighborhood.) Can we be flexible with the unplanned and unscheduled parts of our day which are beyond our control? The answer is obvious- we have to! If we can't be flexible something will break. And kind of like the job of those damn arborists trimming dead branches outside my window, we need to let go of the pieces of our old selves that no longer serve us well. Pieces that will be heavy burdens and hold us back from growing and living fully. Even in the chaos and uncertainty that each day holds, we have to adapt and know that there is important work that still needs to be done.  

My lovely little nook is now in a different, less secluded and quiet area of our home. But I smile in my heart, because I know that we still carry on and continue our morning coffee chats, plot our daily and long term goals and we will especially keep dreaming. 

And now, one last bit of your massage therapist's humor.....




May you find peace, love and joy in each day. Take good care of yourself so you are able be good to others as well.  

Much love! xoxox






No comments:

Post a Comment

4 Easy Things

By now we are all somewhat accustomed to our new work-life situation.  Like it or not, here we are. Without the ergonomics of profess...